You have reserved your company’s exhibit space in an upcoming trade show, your exhibit has been built, so now it’s time to start thinking about installing and dismantling your booth on the show floor. Not having the right labor team on-site will make your life a living nightmare. Having a reliable group of experienced labor personnel is an important aspect to having a successful show.
There are several things you should keep in mind when selecting a labor team.
- Know the venue and state the show is being held in. There are union states, like Chicago and non-union states. In union states, like Las Vegas, you have to be careful of what your labor team does as your company will be responsible for the fine if rules are broken.
- Select a good local labor team so you don’t have to pay travel expenses.
- Ask about hours, what are considered to be straight time, overtime and double time. Are there any unusual holidays that this labor company celebrates the rest of the world doesn’t, like Super Bowl Sunday? (You will pay double time on holidays)
- Can they provide solutions to common and not-so-common problems your team may face on the show floor?
- How long have they been in business?
- Are they certified and insured?
Once you have found a labor team that your company was impressed with, ask for the same people year after year.
They already know you, your expectations and how to set up your exhibit. This will cut down on the amount of time you have to direct the hired laborers, freeing you up for those oh-so-important pre-show events. Keep in mind; you will be paying 25% more for labor in union states.
Money Saving Tips on Labor
- Have everything installed and dismantled on straight time, if possible. Overtime will cost a lot more.
- Find out what can be done and shipped pre-assembled from your exhibit house, this will save time and money on install.
- Request the same people who installed the exhibit to dismantle it. After all, they are the ones who unpacked the crates; therefore they know how to put it back in.
- Hire a supervisor, this will save you money and heartache in the long term. When someone supervises install and dismantle, the billable hours are usually less. The supervisor is looking out for your company’s best interest and your bottom line.
Apple Rock Displays has long-term established partnerships with some of the best labor teams throughout the country. Ask us how we can help make install and dismantle a wonderful dream for you and your company.