The question of renting trade show exhibits versus purchasing them, is one that has been around for a long time. Many first time exhibitors and seasoned trade show veterans battle between renting and purchasing their booths often. This can be a difficult decision, especially when you take into account all the other expenses involved in exhibiting in trade show, such as shipping, install, drayage and more.
There are some benefits to both, but the real deciding factor is how many trade shows will this exhibit be at over the course of one year. The rule of thumb here is, if you will use the same exhibit three or more times in one year, you should purchase. However, there are additional costs to take into account when purchasing an exhibit, like storage and fixing any damages that may occur. Let’s weigh the benefits of both to help you come to a strategic answer.
Benefits of Renting
- Greater Flexibility- you can easily change the size, configuration and structural elements of your booth every time you rent.
- Try and try again-gives your company the opportunity to try out more than one exhibit style. This is especially great for first time exhibitors.
- No long term costs-you don’t have to pay for recurring maintenance, storage or insurance for rental booths. According to Exhibitor Magazine, repairs cost around 3-5% of the total value of the exhibit.
- Renting an exhibit can be turnkey, meaning all you do is approve the configuration and graphics, then show up when it’s time to work the booth.
- Renting gives your company the ability to exhibit at multiple shows at the same time.
- Renting can also be more cost effective for companies that want to have a larger booth, but don’t have the capital to purchase a custom exhibit.
Benefits of Purchasing
- Consistent trade show branding by having the same booth year after year.
- Owning your exhibit means it’s available when you need it.
- When you purchase your exhibit, you have complete control over everything, the configuration, the materials used, the, the overall look and feel and where it goes.
- Purchasing an exhibit allows you to have a custom design that matches your brand image.
- If you are an active exhibitor, purchasing your exhibit has positive long term cost advantages.
There is a big misconception in the industry that if you purchase a booth, you will not be able to change or update it. However, there are several types of exhibits that allow you to easily change your booth configuration for little to no cost to you. Also, Apple Rock will let you rent-to-own many of our booths. There is a third option, a hybrid of the two. You can purchase custom branded elements to be used with rental displays. This cuts down on the overall cost of ownership, while still allowing you the flexibly you get with renting. Whoever, said you can’t have the best of both worlds, has not talked to an Apple Rock consultant. Contact us today to see what amazing options we have to offer you, the qualified #leadschamp of your company.